Monday, February 4, 2013

A Note on the Psalms

Hi...How are ya? May God's grace bless each and every person who is drawn to this blog. Today, I would like to offer an insight into the psalms, and hopefully it will be the cause of spiritural growth for us all.

The use of pronouns is everywhere in the psalms. Perphaps the prounoun "I" is used most often as in Psalm 3, begining at verse 4:

But you, LORD, are a shield around me;                         
my glory, you keep my head high.
With my own voice I will call out to the LORD,
and he will answer me from his holy mountain.

I lie down and I fall asleep,
I will wake up, for the LORD sustains me.
I do not fear, then, thousands of people
arrayed against me on every side.

Arise, LORD! Save me, my God!
For you strike the cheekbone of all my foes;
you break the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation is from the LORD!

Yes, these terms apply to me, Josh. In fact the Psalms can be viewed in the first person through the eyes of David, or the Psalmist, through Our Lord's eyes, and through our own perspective (for example, the phrase "I will lie down and I will fall asleep, I will awake up for the LORD sustains me." refers to David's overwhelming doubt that he can beat his enemy in battle, but nonetheless the Lord sees him through to victory. In addition, it refers to Jesus cruxifiction and Ressurection, the paschal actions that opened once and for all the gates of Heaven to humanity. Or these lines can refer tp God's Grace protecting me through out the typical night, and Him allowing me to wake-up in the morning). 

These three significant outcomes of the Psalms occur whether or not we think about them. And they can all happen at the same time. My point in this blog is too put out and fourth signifigant implication of the use of the pronoun "I" or "me." It refers to the Church Herself, and oh how this can add to the greatness of praying the Psalms. For instance, the phrase "Arise, LORD! Save me, my God" is a cry of the Church! of all Her people!

The Holy Spirit unifes the Church and the connection between the pronoun "I" and Holy Mother Church emphises this truth.

God,
Send Your Spirit to pen our ears to hear
Your Word, Your Truth. May the saving acts
of Jesus Christ, Your son, our Lord bring us
to Everlasting Life, where You live and reign with
Him, and the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment